Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Police Department – FAQ

Police Department – FAQ 

Richmond Police Department Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I contact the police department?

Emergency: Dial – 911
Non-Emergency / Dispatch: (815) 338-2144
Station Voicemail: (815) 678-4163

Note: The Richmond Police Department is dispatched by the McHenry County Sheriff’s Dispatch Center.

Where is the Police Department located?The Richmond Police Department is located at 5600 Hunter Drive, Richmond, IL 60071

Is the police station manned 24/7?

The Richmond Police Department is on duty 24/7/365, however the Richmond Police Station is typically unmanned, and as we believe our job should be out in our community on patrol, and ready to respond to calls for service.

Should you wish to meet with an officer at the station, there are direct dial phones in the police department lobby. These phones will connect you directly to the dispatch center whom in turn can dispatch one of the on duty officers to meet with you at the station.

I have a (question / comment / concern) about the weigh station located on Route 12, just south of the Wisconsin State line?

The weigh station is the jurisdiction of the Illinois State Police. It is operated and staffed by Illinois State Police personnel.

Questions / Comments / Concerns should be directed to The Illinois State Police District #2. Their contact information can be found at the link below:

I have a (question / comment / concern or suggestion – add a lane / change the timing, add a bypass lane, etc. about the roadway (North / South / Adjacent) to the weigh station located on Route 12, just south of the Wisconsin State line?

The Roadway (Route 12) is a State Route and the jurisdiction of the Illinois Department of Transportation District 1 office. Questions / Comments / Concerns / Suggestions should be directed directly to that office. Their contact information can be found at the link below:

Where can I get a copy of my accident report?The Richmond Police Department utilizes an electronic crash reporting system. Copies of most accident reports are available at the following link:

Copies of accident reports involving crimes or deaths are subject to the rules cited under the Freedom of Information Act (Illinois Compiled Statutes, 5 ILCS 140/1-7).

Will the Police Department take my fingerprints for a job application or professional license?

The Richmond Police Department will take ink fingerprints for job applications, a professional license or for immigration purposes for residents of Richmond or for people who are being fingerprinted because of a business or profession located in Richmond. There is no cost, and no appointment is necessary. (You must bring the fingerprint cards your employer/agency/etc. specifies with you, the RPD does not have any “generic” fingerprint cards or other types of fingerprint cards.)

My car has been towed, how do I get it released?
For the release of your vehicle, you must pay a $500 administrative bond at the Richmond Village Hall or Richmond Police Department and all towing and storage fees must be paid directly to the respective towing company, whose name and phone number is noted on the tow receipt.

Failure to claim the vehicle within 30 days of the Hearing will result in the disposal of the vehicle as an unclaimed vehicle under the Illinois Vehicle Code, Chapter 625 Section 5/4-209.

Where do I pay my citations online?
Parking citations, and Local Ordinance Citations may be paid in person at the Richmond Village Hall or Richmond Police Department.

To pay for Parking Citations or Local Ordinance Citations (Citation numbers begin with RM) online with a credit card please follow the link below:

Note: If entering a payment for a municipal ticket please include the letters “RM” prior to ticket number.

State Citations can be paid online through the McHenry County Circuit Clerk WebSite at the link below:

The McHenry County Traffic Ticket Payment Brochure [PDF] can be accessed through the McHenry County Circuit Clerk’s website at the link below:

Will the Police Department provide extra patrols while I am away on vacation?
Yes, just complete an online Vacation Watch form here:

The Police Department will make every effort to check your residence while you are away as time permits. We cannot guarantee this will be done on a daily basis so please take all necessary safety precautions to safeguard your home and enlist the assistance of friends and neighbors to also check on your home. Homes for sale are not eligible for this program.

What hours is the records department open?
The records department is staffed by part time personnel, whose hours fluctuate.

Records requests can be emailed to:, or faxed to: 815-678-4307. Records requests that require a FOIA can utilize the FOIA form located here: FOIA-request.

How do I file a Freedom of Information Request?For information regarding filing a FOIA Request click here:

Does the Village have any burning regulations?

Yes, please see the information at the following link:

Does the Richmond police department trade / sell / give away patches?

No, due to cost and security concerns the Richmond Police Department does not trade or sell it’s department uniform patches.

Does the Village have a curfew?

14.21 CURFEW FOR MINORS. (Ord. 2004-3; Ord. 2008-11)
(a) It is unlawful for a person less than 17 years of age to be present at or upon any public
assembly, building, place, street or highway at the following times:
(1) Friday from 12 midnight to 6:00 a.m. Saturday;
(2) Saturday from 12 midnight to 6:00 a.m. Sunday;
(3) Sunday from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. Monday;
(4) Monday through Thursday from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. of the following day

Is there an ordinance that prohibits construction during certain hours?

14.13 NOISE.
No person shall cause or allow to be caused excessive noise such that said noise annoys and disturbs any reasonable person and causes a breach of the peace. With respect to excessive noise, which occurs as a result of construction work or activity, said noise during the following periods is strictly prohibited:

(a) between the hours of 7:00 PM and 7:00 AM of the following day on any day; and
(b) Sundays; and
(c) New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
(d) Exception to the above prohibition on construction activity may be granted in writing, upon good cause shown, by the Village President, Public Works Superintendent or Chief of Police.


How do I request a speaker from the Police Department to do a presentation?If you wish to have a speaker for an event or before a group, contact the Richmond Police Department at: 815-678-4163.