Charles G. Cotting Houses
Main & Mill Streets
—Written by Gail Drabant
The simpler of these two houses is C. G. Cotting’s first house referred to as No. 90. It is located on the. southeast comer of Main and Mill Streets. It is the oldest house in the village of Richmond.
C. G. Cotting’s second house is a grand Italianate home, with its elaborate trim and square cupola. It was built circa the 1870s just northwest of his other house on Mill Street overlooking Nippersink Creek at 5512 Mill Street
C. G. Cotting is considered, along with Purdy, as the founder of Richmond, since Cotting and Purdy platted the town in 1844. In 1846, they substantially increased the size of the town by making an additional plat to the south of their original town plat. Cotting and Purdy also built the mill in 1844. Charles Cotting is the “Charles” for whom Charles Street is named. In 1829, before coming to the Richmond area, C. G. married Sally Dike.. They had five children.