James V. Aldrich House
5705 George Street
—Written by Gail Drabant
Although the primary owners of this house lived in it over 50 years, this house has undergone great transition through the years. There have been over 12 owners of this property not including several renters, as compared to the usual handful of owners. Through the patient efforts of the current owners, Gene and Fran Racette, this house is being brought back to its prior splendor. After producing a picture from the glass negatives that they found in the attic, the Racette’s have rebuilt the graceful front porch to the original specifications.
The primary original owner, James V. Aldrich was a mercantile merchant in Richmond. He purchased this house in 1873 for $2,025. Several months later he was married. James and Mary raised their five sons in this house. James lived here until his death 46 years later. Mary stayed here for an additional five years. Besides being a prominent merchant, James also served terms as postmaster and Justice of the Peace.
After the Aldrich family, this house was owned by the Snyders, the Hammers, the Lutheran Church (as a parsonage), the Vosses, the Fredricksons and finally the Racettes. The house is located at 5705 George Street.