This process ensures established standards for design and construction are followed by anyone constructing or altering a structure or installing different projects within the community. The building design and construction standards have been created to protect the public health, safety, and welfare of the community.
A contractor must be licensed by the Village of Richmond to work in the Village. The Village Hall maintains a current list of licensed contractors within the Village. You may contact the Village Hall at 815-678-4040 to check if a contractor is licensed with the Village before you hire them, or direct them to this page here to register. Registration runs annually May 1st – April 30th of the following year.
Please be advised the Village requires plumbers to be licensed with the state of Illinois and will not accept out of state plumbing contractors.
Projects Requiring a Permit
Permits are required for construction of any type, including all new construction, any building addition and any remodeling that changes a building’s structure, plumbing, electrical, or heating systems.
Below is a list of common projects that require a permit, if you are unsure or have further questions about your project, give the Village office a call at 815-678-4040!
- Air Conditioning (central A/C, new or replacement)
- Building addition
- Building demolition
- Commercial kitchen/Hood/Ansul system
- Doors (if changing size of opening, new or replacement)
- Electrical work
- Fire Alarm
- Fire Sprinkler System
- Furnace (new or replacement)
- Lawn sprinkler system
- New building
- Roof replacement
- Siding replacement
- Swimming pools (permanent in-ground/above ground)
- Water heater
- Windows (if changing size of opening, new or replacement)
General Building Permit Application and Supporting Documents
Village of Richmond Adopted Building Codes
RICHMOND MUNICIPAL CODE CHAPTER 34, BUILDING REGULATIONS
The Building Regulations. The following Codes shall apply to all construction within the Village of Richmond: (Ord. 2016-07)
(a) The following list of codes are hereby adopted as part of the Building Code of the Village of Richmond, for the control of buildings and structures as therein provided in each code. Each and all of the regulations, provisions, penalties, conditions and terms contained in each code described below are hereby referred to, adopted and made a part hereof as if fully set forth in this ordinance.
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2015 International Fire Code
- 2015 International Existing Building Code
- 2015 International Pool and Spa Code
- 2014 National Electric Code with exceptions noted in Chapter 35, Village of Richmond Municipal Code
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code
All applications for building permits for multifamily commercial and industrial buildings shall include plans certified by a State of Illinois licensed architect or structural engineer. (Ord. 2004-19)
The following sections of the “International Building Code, 2015 Edition” are hereby revised as follows: (Ord. 2016-07)
(a) Accessibility-Chapter 11. Delete Chapter 11 and any reference to accessibility within the International Building Code. All accessibility references shall be deferred to the Illinois Accessibility Code (current version).
The following sections of the “International Residential Code, 2015 Edition” are hereby revised as follows;
- Section R313 (Sprinklers) is deleted in its entirety.
- Chapters 11 through 43 are deleted in their entirety.