Welcome to our Village Website!
Richmond, the Village of Yesteryear, was first settled in 1837 by William McConnell, who staked his claim to land just west of the present village on what is now Broadway Street. He spent his first night here under an oak tree which still stands today. Charles Noyes arrived later that year, building a log house half a mile to the east. Noyes named the new village Montelona, but later moved to Wisconsin, selling his claim to Theodore Purdy.
In 1844, Charles Cotting settled here and, along with Purdy, platted the village. The winner of a contest to climb to the top of the new grist mill the fastest would be given the honor of naming the new village. The winner: Isaac Reed, who named the village Richmond. (Read more...)